Photo: Urška Boljkovac, Borut Bučinel
From Palestine with Love to South Africa
With whom do we have sex, and why? What are our preferences and phantasies? What happens when we confide our deepest thoughts and desires to our permanent partner, to a temporary lover, or a total stranger? Why not enhance our relations through sex, so that everyone would feel strengthen and no-one weak? What makes sex amusing again?
These and similar questions are being asked in this performance to investigate the ways and modes in which religious and cultural milieu delineate our experience of sex and, on the other hand, the ways in which sex can influence our culture and religious beliefs.
This is the first production created in the framework of the international project 1Space, which is being co-produced by Exodos Ljubljana (Slovenia), KVS (Belgium) and Alkantara (Portugal). It will be staged for the first time at the beginning of November in the Španski Borci Culture Centre.
All humans share a desire to express emotions and love, as well as a need and appetite for power and authority. All of these have been apparent in a distinctive feature of human history: war. And also, in everyman’s daily life. The act in which we show our deepest feelings and needs, the act in which many people enjoy, but some also suffer, is sex. These parallels suggest that sex can help to uncover the reasons for war…
Such reflections inspired Chuma Sopotela and Ahmed Tobasi at the first 1Space laboratory held in Palestine in May 2014. With the assistance of artists Gregor Luštek, Borut Bučinel and Davor Sanvincenti the show will attain its final form in October 2016 during the artists’ residence in Ljubljana and the Istrian village of San Vincenti.
Let’s Talk about Sex: The Beginning of War is the first in the line of six productions that are being created in the framework of the 1Space international platform dedicated to the development of intercontinental exchange, collaboration, production and distribution of artists and artworks from Europe, Africa and the Middle East. 1Space is being co-created by three cultural organisations: Exodos Ljubljana (Slovenia), KVS (Brussels, Belgium) and Alkantara (Lisbon, Portugal), with financial support of the European Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA).
The show is in English language.
The text and the staging is a group work of the 1Space artists:
- Chuma Sopotela and Ahmed Tobasi (concept, creation, performers)
- Gregor Luštek (assistant of creation and choreography)
- Borut Bučinel (video, photography and lighting design)
- Davor Sanvincenti (set and sound design)
- Executive producer: Nataša Zavolovšek
- Assistant producer: Urška Boljkovac
- Technical director: Borut Cajnko
- Text editing: Inge Pangos
- Public relations: Saša Kejžar
- Produced by Exodos Ljubljana in the frame of 1Space project by Exodos Ljubljana (Slovenia), KVS (Belgium) and Alkantara (Portugal).
- Co-produced by Zavod EN-KNAP (Slovenia) and Qattan Foundation (Palestine), partner: Mediterranean dance centre
- Support: EACEA
- Donator of condoms: Kondomomanija
Show: 8.11.2016 at 7.30 pm, 18.4.2017 at 8 pm, 19.4.2017 at 10 pm
Venue: Španski borci cultural centre, Ljubljana
Information and tickets reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org